[AMPS] Stagger tuning

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Stagger tuning
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 07:46:17 -0500
Rich wrote:

> > A 6" long ''non-inductive'' Globar resistor has over 100nH.  One
> > disadvantage to Globars is that the length to diameter ratio tends to be
> > too high - typically about 6 or more to one.  The L/D ratio for a vhf
> > suppressor resistor needs to be low - otherwise the desired
> > stagger-tuning effect is not obtained.

I'm puzzled by the stagger tuning you mention above.

On one hand, you seem to claim any resonance is a bad one.

Now it appears some resonance is good.

One fellow on this reflector spent what must have been days
making a suppressor without any resonance, and you didn't correct
what appears to be a mistake in proper parasitic design.

If he has a smooth resistance change over the range of 30 MHz to
1.5 GHz as he claimed...with no resonances...he had no stagger in
resonance.

Which is it? Is a multiple resonance good or bad?

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com