[AMPS] Re: Poor science

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Poor science
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 13:23:34 -0500
I asked:

> > Please give me an an example of a class A or AB linear PA that
> > will go into a catastrophic failure induced by a oscillation when
> > tickled with exactly the right transient, but will not oscillate under
> > proper testing for stability.

> I'm sorry, but I didn't say that I could do that. I do not know enough
> about the dynamic behavior of tubes and tube amplifiers. When I learn more
> maybe I will have something interesting to say about that, and maybe not.

Then you can't possibly make the following statement:

> I re-reiterate:
>
> The claim was made by a Measures detractor that "the laws of physics"
> forbid the existence of a non-self-starting oscillator. That claim is
> provably false. That is all I say at this point. I'm not taking your bait
> on the rest of Rich's alleged claims.

It isn't bait.

All of the "proof" about parasitics stems from claims you can't or
won't discuss. Those claims are what flys in the face of good
science.

I asked:

> > Please give me an an example of a class A or AB linear PA
that
> > will go into a catastrophic failure induced by a oscillation when
> > tickled with exactly the right transient, but will not oscillate
under
> > proper testing for stability.

As you already said above, you can't.

A linear circuit either has enough feedback of the correct phase to
be an oscillator, or it doesn't. It simply isn't going to sit there for
years and then suddenly, out of the clear blue sky, explode from a
parasitic just because the right "tick" came along.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com