SV: [AMPS] Misc. Oscillations

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] Misc. Oscillations
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (sm5ki)
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 21:50:06 +0000
I am very often surprised that most amps on the market are allowed to be
sold at all. In a compact box used in your private home, you have dangerous
voltages that are isolated from your family and yourself  only by a, very
often, tiny underrated  anode-to- pi-filter coupling capacitor. If your
protection rfc is kaputt, your 2-4 kilovolts are avaiable to your antenna(s)
and the people near them. With the  hams technical knowledge going down, as
it has the last 30 years, its surprising that so little accidents have
occured. As the components are severely underrated from a safety point of
view. The day when amps have to be inspected and tested by some official
safety inspector, that day very few amps will be sold at all, I am sure.

Yes , yesterdays amps were much better. Used much better and bigger
components- even stronger than to-days amps with double the power than
yesterdays.

Maybe they had also less tendency to oscillate at higher frequencies simply
( maybe - this is only a guess, please ) because tube gain was lower at
higher frequencies??? Did not EIMAC make several changes to the original
3-500Z with graphite anode that led to higher gain at higher frequencies?
When you insert a modern 3-500Z into an older amp, you maybe will get
parasitics because your amp was not designed for this modern tube?  TL 922
??? Now, get me right, this is only a theory - I really have no definite
proofs. Only am guessing.

How come , by the way, that so many hams and their families survived their
high come-and- hit-me-lightning  towers standing out from nearby high
objects? Is it not strange that so few direct lightning hits  have happened?
Many secondary effects of course, but direct hits?

?????? de Hans SM5KI