[AMPS] Re: Mission Impossible

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Mission Impossible
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 07:21:31 -0500
>      Good somebofy did bring this up. At first I couldn´t beleive
>      what was going on and had to call a coupple of friends to
>      check if they did see the same, it was abslutley dreadful.
>      I tried to tell a few but ofcourse nobody wanted to take
>      notice. Many many big prominent stations did sound just
>      awful with big distortion and ecessive bandwith, if you
>      like I could name a bunch of callsigns but I don´t think
>      those guys read this reflector, maybe the contest one.
>      de Jim SM2EKM

If you think 40 and 20 meters are problems, try operating 160
meters from a quiet location one hop away from some newer rigs.

On SSB most exciters are far worse than the PA's assuming the
PA is properly tuned.

For all the complaints about PA's, look at IMD specs for many
transceivers. Many of them not only have poor IMD that extends
out very far, but they also have a large leading edge overshoot
because of slow ALC response.

Until the exciters are corrected, the problem will remain.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com