[AMPS] VHF visitation (was power handling...)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] VHF visitation (was power handling...)
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 11:04:42 -0700

>Fred says;
>
>>How did you discern that it was not one of Eimac's fabled "barnacle"
>>incidents?
>

>The phenomena known sometimes as 'barnacles' is also called 'flash arc'. It
>was described  in a paper by B. S. Gossling of the General Electric Company
>Research Laboratory at Wembley, England in the  Journal of the IEE in 1932.
>I can provide copies of it if anyone wants it (24 pages). It has exactly the
>same symptons as ascribed by Rich to parasitics. I quote the summary:
>
>'The "flash arc" phenomenon, sometimes called the "Rocky Point effect," is
>the spontaneous and complete breakdown of the high insulation normally
>afforded by a good vacuum between metallic electrodes. The breakdown does
>not, in general, follow immediately upon the application of the voltage, but
>is preceded by an interval or "time lag" of widely variable duration.'
>
>That seems to me to be a pretty accurate description of the phenomena
>referred to.

I have never been able to find an arc mark in a tube that grid-fil.
shorted during a big-bang event.  (see photo on page 15 of Sept., 1990
QST)  It seems to me that G. W. Fyler's September, 1935 article
"Parasites in Transmitters" explains what was causing some of the
mysterious "Rocky Point effect" barnacle arcing back in1932.

cheers, Peter

end