[AMPS] Re: Power Handling of Resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Power Handling of Resistors
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 20:20:17 -0700

>> (Jon)
>> We've established the fact that 320 Joules into my resistor network will
>not
>> damage the resistors.
>
>> Yet 256 Joules will destroy a tank circuit according to what you say.
>
>It takes about 500 J to melt a gram of brass from room temperature. I think
>256 would be enough to seriously damage a band switch. The unresolved
>problem isn't the available energy, it's how it gets to the switch.

Good news, Carl.  The unresolved problem has already been solved by the
modest Mr. Rauch.  The energy gets to the switch because C-tune has a VHF
resonance slightly above the parasitic freq..  For example, the SB-1000
and AL-80 occasionally oscillate at c.155MHz and crispy-critter open
contacts.  This is possible because the Tune-C has a  resonance c.
170MHz.  Congrats, Tom.  .

later

end