[AMPS] Re: Static discharge caused arcs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Static discharge caused arcs
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 10:09:43 -0700

>Hi Carl:
>
>Interesting thought.  Probably should not discuss receivers on the Amps
>Reflector - but it is simply the continuation of an amp related topic.
>
>It makes sense to put the rf choke at the output side of the relay so that
>it shorts anything that is not supposed to be there to ground - and, as Hans
>has suggested, improve receiving back-ground noise.  There is one minor
>caution, though, in that the rf choke will drop in impedance at some point
>and affect received signals.  A 2.5 mh choke would be fine through 160
>meters when using a low impedance antenna - but suppose you also use the
>receiver to receive on the broadcast band or lower - where the antenna might
>be high impedance.  Thus, it might not be appropriate to hang a normal rf
>choke across the receiver input of a general coverage receiver.

Agreed.  2.5mH chokes have many resonances in the HF range.  I use a
300k-ohm resistor to bleed off any static charge across my Hertz
antenna's tuner.  .

>Sorry to digress, but it really has to do with design of power amplifiers -
>and whether the rf choke should be hung on the output side of the relay.
>There is merit to the suggestion.

A choke across the load-C is probably not all that useful because - if
the DC blocking cap fails, the typical load-C is going to arc to ground
and blow the mains breaker/fuse.

later

end