[AMPS] Plate chokes and other mysteries...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Plate chokes and other mysteries...
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 20:14:25 -0500
Hi John

> 1.  I have an Ameritron AL-80A, single 3-500. The plate choke went POW!! I
> know it did since I viewed the two ends of the wire hanging next to each
> other in the top winding. Can this be repaired by merely removing
> insulation of sufficient length and soldering the wire back together,
> after unwinding each of the "new" ends a half turn before twisting them
> together and soldering?

Better have a look at the 3-500Z, and the protection diode across
the meter shunts. That diode is a single diode located at the outer
edge of the electrolytic board, between the negative rail of the
electrolytics and ground.

The only other general cause of that would be operating the amp
where the choke is series resonant.

> 2.  Seems to me I heard some disparaging words regarding the "A" version
> of this box. Anyone remember what was said regarding areas that needed to
> be improved/modified?

The 80A was a pretty good amplifier, there were some minor
changes depending on when it was built. It had a long production
run and good service history.....about 15 years worth.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com