SV: SV: [AMPS] Re: Static discharge caused NOISE

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: SV: [AMPS] Re: Static discharge caused NOISE
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (sm5ki)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 08:22:56 +0000
Thank you fellows for your response:

1. The choke used was , as I said, the famous " christmas tree" NATIONAL R
175 or R 175A ( the latter works also on 6 meters as far as I remember?)
used normally as a plate choke in amps. As such as it has a high impedance
on the bands it was designed for and when in paralell with  the 50 ohm input
impedance it should have very little effect on receiver sensitivity. This
choke was also described in one of RSGBs handbooks by the way.

2. Yes , of course, the choke reduces charge build - up in my long-wire with
less discharge through the ceramic insulation. But the actual noise in my
loadspeaker was not a cracking or popping noise - it sounded like a
continous noise, and as far as I remember, a hissing noise when there was a
high-static weather   overhead. Anyway, it worked and that is was count:
"The proof of  the pudding is in the eating ", right? Or as my German
grandma said " Grau ist aller Theorier Anfang............" nicht war?

3. I did not get any answer on Richs statement:" A choke across the load-C
is probably not all that useful because - if the DC blocking cap fails, the
typical load-C is going to arc to ground
>and blow the mains breaker/fuse." Again: What on earth do you mean now? Pse
explain? The world is waiting for your answer Rich.

sooner ................es hej daa de Hans