[AMPS] Receiver performance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Receiver performance
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:35:15 -0000
Tom says:

>At present price levels, it is impossible to get a quality low-noise
>high dynamic range A/D converter that is fast enough to do any
>good processing for anywhere near the price of a good crystal filter.

I'm not sure price comes into it......I don't think they exist with enough
bits at enough accuracy. The only real advantage I can see is the controlled
group delay for data modes. But I don't see why you can't use a crystal
filter, then DSP and equalise out the group delay - except for cost. Having
said all that, the Timewave is well worth having after all the crystal
filters. But DSP is the modern buzz word....

        >what I want is a clean transmitter and a receiver that can crawl
right up
        >against a 50 over nine signal and dig out an S3 signal.

Frequency synthesisers are not always the best approach for that...even a
DDS needs a 17 bit DAC accurate to 17 bits to ensure DAC spurs are more than
100dB down. (17 bit DAC accurate to 17 bits sounds silly - but many fast
DACs are not accurate to the number of bits)

73

Peter G3RZP