[AMPS] Dentron MLA 2500 Amplifier?++

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dentron MLA 2500 Amplifier?++
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:35:32 -0600

>  IMHO, the 8877 is the 813 of the 21st century; at least until MRI machines go
>  solid-state!
>
>  (((73)))
>  Phil, K5PC >>
> well in the 1950's u could get 813's  for 50 cents a piece!
> hank

Adjusting for inflation, you can still do it with 8877's.
Trouble is, there are very few junk dealers selling surplus
like there were in the '50's. Those guys like Barry's etc.
were buying 813's for 10 cents/pound and selling them to
you for 50 cents each. Many perfectly good 8877's can be
found in hospital dumpsters. (no thanks...not me!) Very few MRI
service techs even bother to try to sell them.....they are just tossed.
 Most industrial surplus, like at Texas Instruments et al is sold in lots
 that include tons of  absolute junk together with the good stuff, like
 plasma generators. You have to bid on the whole thing to get the
 goodies.

There are three keys to success in buying 8877's for cheap prices......
1. Connections
2. Connections
3. Connections

As long as there are folks on E-Bay who are willing to pay nearly-new
prices for tubes and $2000 for a Collins S-Line, the average ham will
not get a chance at one at the '50's equivilent of 50 cents. When demand
drops and "connections" are developed, you will see a lot of $100 8877's.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC