[AMPS] Re: Response of Rich

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Response of Rich
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 20:14:41 -0700
>Rich:
>
>I raised the question of increasing the screen voltage on a grounded grid
>tetrode - from zero to something less than the "normal" voltage.

As I recall, you specified something on the order of 130v for a 1000v
screen.

>Your response was that "DAF circuits produce feculance".

Was this the only response you saw?

>Your latest response is:
>
>"Did I not also point out that the power out with your stated screen
>potential was comparable to the power from the driver?."
>
>Your answer does not make sense.  Let us assume we have a normal grounded
>grid tetrode.

ok

>Now, we break the screen lead to ground and insert a 1 volt
>regulated positive voltage upon the screen.  Will the power output drop to
>that of the driver?

No.  Only the ZSAC changes.

>What about 2 volts?

The gain of g-g cathode-driven tetrode does not change as screen
potential is increased.

>As the screen voltage is
>increased, resting plate current will increase and at some point grid bias
>will have to be applied as the plate changes color from red to white.

Why increase screen potential if it only changes ZSAC.?

>In a grounded grid tetrode, the control grid current will be greater than
>the screen current.

Apparently c. 25% of total grid current flows in the screen.

>By raising the screen voltage above ground, control
>grid current will decrease.
>
>What sort of interesting curve do you have that shows that power output
>drops to the input power as soon as the screen voltage is raised above
>ground - yet will reappear as soon as the screen voltage is raised to the
>rated screen voltage.

You seem to be confusing grounded screen grid-driven amplifiers with g-g
amplifiers.

>  That would be an inverted square, wouldn't it?

>The 4-400 is rated to have 100 ma of control grid current when used in
>grounded grid configuration.

Not according to Eimac specs.  Are you making specs up?.

> Are you saying that as soon as I lift the
>screen above ground  that any grid current will cause splatter?

The screen is never operated above RF ground, either in cathode driven or
grid driven service.
>Colin  K7FM

end