[AMPS] Tube circuit modeling

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Tube circuit modeling
From: Carl Clawson" <ws7l@arrl.net (Carl Clawson)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:50:51 -0800
I inquired a while back about whether SPICE or something similar is used
with tubes. There was only one response, from Mauri.

I looked around a bit and found that indeed SPICE is used, apparently
extensively, in the audio business. Two sites that I started from were
http://www.svetlana.com/docs/products/spicemodel.html, and
http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~schmaus/elect/tdex.html.

Elaborate models exist for some tubes, which include interesting effects
like changes in emission due to changing total filament current. (Not likely
to be a concern at RF.)

Coverage of tubes interesting for RF power amplifiers appears minimal
(although there is a "generic" triode model that might serve). Well, it's a
lot of work, and maybe the dollars (or euros...) aren't there for RF as they
are for audio, but I can't help thinking that a lot of our hand-waving
arguments could be augmented by some judicious simulations.

Note that I said "augmented," not "ended!"

Any further thoughts?

Respectfully submitted,
Carl WS7L