[AMPS] Power Handling Capability of Coax Cable

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Power Handling Capability of Coax Cable
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 14:18:36 -0500
> Running maximum legal input power and assuming ~ 750 Watts key down
output,
> the "real numbers" you need to look at for voltage breakdwon in the
> dielectric is....194 Volts (assuming a 50 ohm system). Not much danger I
> would say as I conduct 4,000 volts over a RG-59U coax cable from my power
> supply.

You are probabably OK.  One thing where you need to be careful though with
RF voltages is that you need to look at the peak voltage instead of just the
RMS voltages.  The 194  volts you give is an RMS voltage.  However, at 750
Watts, your peak voltage is not all that high.  RG-58/59 type cables will
easily handle up to 800 Watts CW.

> My application is a 12" run of coax from the output of my Pi-L tank to the
> vacuum antenna relay which could handle at least 1500 watts out, key down.

12" of what sort of coax?  Even with RG-58, I'd bet you would be OK.  I used
RG-8 in my amp, but it is admittedly very difficult to route.  A very good
choice might be RG-8X.

73,

Jon
NA9D