[AMPS] 4-1000 is this a good tube?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4-1000 is this a good tube?
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 01:36:30 -0500
on 5/17/00 10:11 PM, Bobo at kb8gnf@orwell.net wrote:

> I have a chance to buy a homebrew 4-1000 amp. I'm not familiar with this
> tube. Is this tube easy to drive? Forgiving? What type of out put can be
> expected for a single tube with a serious power supply?

Bob,

It's a great tube when run in grounded-grid service.  You'll need a lot of
juice.  I run about 5500 volts under load (6KV idle) and get legal limit
with less than 100 Watts.  It is a tough tube to damage and also a tough
tube to stabilize at the upper HF end.  But it can be done.

A lot of guys like it cause it's a true fire bottle.  It glows brilliant
orange to white on the plates when keyed.  There is something about a tube
that you can see glowing!  And it tends to produce very good audio.  I have
stations all the time tell me I am very loud with it.  And these are on the
other side of the world.  They tell me I have broadcast quality audio.

Take a look at my webpage at mine:  www.qsl.net/ke9na

If you have any questions, I am more than happy to answer them.

And yes, to the rest of those on the list waiting for my notes, schematics,
etc. to be posted:  I still plan on doing it.  I just haven't had a chance.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden