[AMPS] Remoting Bird meter from Line section?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Remoting Bird meter from Line section?
From: K0FF@ARRL.NET (K0FF)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 18:02:33 -0500
I have a rack mounted amp in the basement, under the hamshack and it has a
rack mounted Bird hooked to it. I wanted to watch the output from the shack,
so installed another dual section bird line section, and ran some shielded
cable upstairs. About 15 ft max.
Didn't have any cables made up that long, so spliced together 3 old Collins
patchcables with RCA plugs per lead,and ran them to the dual needle Weston
meter upstairs, which is mounted in a Bud box.
No problem, everything as it should be. Then made and installed 2 nice
looking jumpers the correct length from RG174, and everything got goofy. The
meter barely reads anything.

Cables check AOK with an Ohmmeter and have about 1.5 Ohms round trip
resistance. The capacitance is quite high on the little coax though.

The Collins cables have a little lower resistance, but much lower
capacitance.

Why would this be?

What would you have to do to monitor a real remote amp, say 300 feet away?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

K0FF (George)