[AMPS] Henry 2k

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Henry 2k
From: MChapp1060@aol.com (MChapp1060@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 15:20:23 EDT
I purchased a Henry 2K Classic X console model amp at Dayton (used but very
nice condition). I got this monster home and have tuned it up a couple of times
in an effort to become familiar with how it operates. I have noticed that the
resting current is almost 300 mils and have ordered parts to fix what I believe
is the problem there (diode packs).

Yesterday while the amp was idling unkeyed by my exciter, but in the SSB and
operate mode, this thing gave off a rather sharp snap/pop. No smoke, just the
noise of an arc somewhere, probably in the rf deck. I checked things out as the
amp had been running just fine for several hours at idle before this.

Things looked ok, but about 5 minutes later I heard another snap/pop and the
amp shut off. I found two blown fuses in the Ameritron inrush protector. I
inspected the rf deck and power supply cabinet area inside and could locate no
obvious arcing craters even though I think there should be something to
indicate where the arc took place.

As I said, I am taking care of the high resting current problem, but wonder
what other things I might be checking here. Please bear in mind that I am not
expert in these matters, but can follow directions and am willing to learn a
little something while undertaking this adventure. (The damn thing weighs
almost 200 lbs. so becoming Henry competent is about the only option.  =-) )

Thanks very much for whatever advice is offered!!
73 de N1MC