[AMPS] Commander 2500E

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Commander 2500E
From: Richard Ehrhorn" <w4eto@earthlink.net (Richard Ehrhorn)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:30:56 -0600
Hi all...

Phil, re your comment (below), such illegal goings-on may not be unique to
one manufacturer, but NEITHER are they engaged in by ALL.

For the record, neither ALPHA/POWER nor its predecessor ETO has ever
knowingly promoted or sold amplifiers in violation of FCC rules applicable
to the amateur (or CB) radio service. Neither, I'll wager, have other
legitimate and ethical manufacturers who value their reputations (e.g.,
Ten-Tec).

Some "FYI" for those who may care:

FCC type acceptance rules imposed in 1978 have been a pain in the neck to
all of us who engineer, manufacture and market ham amps. In addition, the
virtual absence of enforcement over the past decade or so has given a
competitive advantage of sorts to manufacturers willing to flaunt the rules.

I very strongly dislike government control of and interference in our lives.
I'd prefer a lot less government overall. But like it or not, there are two
entirely valid reasons for legally limiting transmitter/amplifier emissions
(including power output): 1) to help prioritize and harmonize the zillion
competing uses of a fundamentally-limited rf spectrum, and 2) radiological
safety.

So far as I know, no U.S. regulation prohibits building or selling cars
capable of doing 150+ mph - that's left up to drivers and law enforcement to
work out. So car speed capability really isn't a good analogy to FCC's
transmitter power rules.

But automotive emission control regulations are a pretty good analogy to FCC
rules, which basically relate to RF emissions control. You might say that
one results in less crap in the air from cars, the other in less crap ON the
air from transmitters.

If BMW (or even Yugo) ignores the rules and tries to import cars that aren't
certified, EPA will nail them. I think we do need some FCC rules, but they
also ought to be enforced - and uniformly - or ditched entirely.

Cheers,

Dick    W0ID    (formerly W4ETO/K6CTV/W0FID)

Clip from original message by K5PC:

> [[Snip...]]

> It is rumored that the guys drive up to the factory loading dock at
> an appointed time, and slip them into the trunk. Most of the buyers
> have no license, but no questions are asked. This kind of dealing
> is as old as ham radio itself; not unique to any one dealer/manufacturer.
>
> IMHO, the government has no business trying to regulate at this level
> anyway. A very good way to get a very reliable 1500 watt amplifier is
> to buy one that loafs at 4000 watts. Cars are sold regularly that loaf at
> 160 mph, but are super reliable at 70 mph.

[[Snip...]]