[AMPS] Toshiba E3030B

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Toshiba E3030B
From: Wlfuqu00@pop.uky.edu (William Fuqua)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 17:05:14 -0400
   It seems that I found a really neat tube at an hamfest Saturday.
It was from an old CAT SCAN machine and used as a pulsed switch.
Strange looking thing, 5 big copper pins on one end and a big heat sink on
the other
and a glass bulb between about the size of an 4-1000A. It weighs 12 Lbs!!!!
    This is a tetrode and can take up to 100KV on the plate.
Better yet has a 1.5 KW plate dissipation into its massive copper plate
that is attached to
the heat sink. Filament voltage 7.5 volts..... sounding a bit
familiar?  Except for the
plate voltage limit.
    Last night I thought just for the heck of it I'd plug this thing into
my 4-1000A amplifier. It fit the socket!
The chimney and the plate cap had to go but there was threaded hole in the
heat sink that
I used to attach the plate lead.
     Put filament voltage to it and it began to glow....
Put B+ to it and the idle current was about right....
Well then I put drive to it. And it tuned right up to a full gallon into my
dummy load!
Finally got some specs today.  Thompson has an tube that is supposed to be
a replacement
called a TH5186. And there is even data for triode connection.
     I think this is a tube that was developed after the 4PR1000 for oil
cooling. It is supposed to be in
a tank with other parts all under oil.   You can get a look at the tube at
http://www.tubenet.com/tetrode2.html.
For the price I should have gotten more.

73
Bill wa4lav