[AMPS] grounded screen tetrode operation.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] grounded screen tetrode operation.
From: nospam4me@juno.com (nospam4me@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:16:55 -0700

I had to build an additional power supply, that was pretty
much it.  I apply drive to  the cathode.  It's pretty important
that you ensure the power supplies are regulated or pretty
"stiff".   Collins went with choke filtered power supplies to
achieve a practical circuit.

I used a cap input supply and shunt regulator in my last
circuit, it worked well but not quite as nice as the choke
input ps of the Collins 30-S1 next to it.  The HP Spectral
Display tells the real story.

The grid diss is really low for this tube, practical ps and
safety circuits to ensure operation within the mfgrs spec are
required.  Although a rugged tube, the grid quickly goes on
vacation with excessive dissipation.   Protection is a must
have.

cheers
skipp

: Forgive the rehash request but do you guys recall the problems that
were discussed :
: for the grounded screen 4CX1000A amp that was outlined in the ARRL
Handbook a
: few years ago?  Were there any fixes discussed/tried?

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.