[AMPS] Coil heating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Coil heating
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 06:25:34 -0500
> >> RF current flows on the outer surface of the 6mm tube but
> >>can't flow on the surfaces of the 1mm wires on the inside of the
> >>twisted bundle.
> >
> >>In fact it's confined to 6 thin lines on the outside, at 50MHz my
> >>guess is the Q drops about a factor of 3-4
> >
> >Then how does bunched conductors, let alone Litz, work?

Entirely differently....the insulation on the individual Litz wires is
the difference. If the multiple conductors are bare, and twisted
together, the RF will travel only on the outside of the outer skin
surfaces. Take RG-8U for example; multiple conductors in the
braid; the RF travels on the outside. Looking in my lightning
protection books, I see how much more effective solid wire or
strap is over braid or stranded wire.

On the topic of tank heating, IMO; the only components in a tank
circuit that should rise above ambient are the tube and the
parasitic suppressor. Mo bigger is often mo betteh...Hang in there,
Hans...we are out-numbered somehow on this!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC