[AMPS] FCC certification - how do they do it?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] FCC certification - how do they do it?
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:44:38 -1000

> Both of us have been amateur radio operators since the
> 60's. I believe we realize the implementation of 97.315 and
> 97.317 were not created to prevent licensed amateurs
> from using full legal power (at the time 1KW if metering
> was available or 900W if metering was not available).

And how about "metering" accuracy?  Quoting some
words by Peter G3RZP a few days ago about accurate
knowledge of our rig's output power at legal max.:

"Hewlett-Packard rates  their generators as +/-1dB  the better
ones, +/-1.5dB for the others. (Accuracy, NOT resolution).
Now that is into an accurate 50ohm load. How low is the input
return loss of the unit under test?

If you are an approved type testing laboratory, your typical
conducted power measurement to a 95% confidence level
is +/-0.75dB. That's 1262 to 1782 watts.  Such accuracy
as this requires much better/more accurate power measurement
than the HP spec.

 Do you have  a friend at  NIST who will calibrate a power
meter at the 1500 watt level for you?

Worrying, this measurement accuracy business, isn't it?"

Will,  pretty close to Peter's words,  anyway,  hi.

73,  Jim,  KH7M