[AMPS] Question About Correct Phase for 240V TransformerPrimary Windings

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Question About Correct Phase for 240V TransformerPrimary Windings ???
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil (VA3UX))
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:40:44 -0400
No !  This method has a 50% chance of working, and a 50% chance of damaging
(or destroying) the windings.

IF you just happen to connect the windings in the proper phase (polarity),
the voltage across the two primarys will be 120 volts and you'll have your
answer. It worked; no harm done.

IF you just happen to connect them with the wrong polarity (ie. one winding
"aiding" and one winding "opposing"), you'll create a dead short across the
primary (zero impedance with only winding resistance). Flux cancellation in
the core with incorrectly phased windings is the reason. There's a high
probability of damage if this occurs.

This method can be done if you understand the risk, AND if you install
current limiting series resistance and an ammeter first before applying power.

Phil