[AMPS] Alpha 87a - Fault Code 1

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Alpha 87a - Fault Code 1
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:36:12 -0400
>>Fired up the Alpha for the first time in a month or so, and after 15
minutes
>>I had a hard fault.
>>
>>I know have a Fault Code #1 when I turn the amp.  Is there something I can
>>replace or is this an internal fuse that causes this?
>>
>>Would rather not send this back to Alpha if I can fix locally.
>>

>Maybe the fault is not with the amplifier.  The first thing I would test
>is tube leakage at 5kV with neg. and with pos. on the anode.  .  All it
>takes is a high-pot. tester.

>good luck, Rich

I think tube leakage would cause a different fault. According to the 87A
manual, fault code #1 indicates insufficient back bias on the PIN diodes
with key down. It's a soft fault if no RF was applied, and it's a hard fault
if RF was applied. I've never seen this fault on my 87A. It shouldn't happen
just when you power up, unless you happen to be transmitting at the time
(not a good idea.) Are you sure it's fault code #1? Exactly which fault
lights are flashing? If it's genuine, I doubt it's anything so simple as a
fuse that you could replace. I'd call the factory and ask them for advice.

73, Dick WC1M