[AMPS] 811H's on CB

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 811H's on CB
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:38:38 -0400
> It seems to me that refusing to perform repair work,
> whether warranty or not, without proof of a ham
> license is a reasonable voluntary action that the amp
> makers could engage in.  It wouldn't all of the
> problem, of course, but it would probably stop some of
> it.

Some years ago I did that with an amplifier owned by a California
lawyer, because he had no license and used the amp to run
communications on an amateur band in off road races somewhere
in the desert.

I knew that because both he and the dealer told me that.

When I refused to service his amplifier, he threatened a lawsuit. So
I repaired the amplifier and turned him in to the FCC and some
group in California that was supposed to look at this sort of
problem.

My question is, for anyone that knows, is a manufacturer required
to repair a device being used illegally? What if that is stated in the
terms of warranty?

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com