[AMPS]

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS]
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 11:29:04 -0700

>In the absence of obvious failures like tubes don't glow, tubes glow too
>brightly and make loud noises, foul odors or trips breakers, what
>indications would lead you to retube a 3-500Z amplifier?

Won't make 400mA per anode when fully driven =s weak emission.  The good
news is that weak emission means less ability to oscillate.  // A
fil.-grid withstanding potential of under 5kV indicates a bent filament
that is on the verge of shorting to the grid.

>In my case, it is an 18-year old Henry 3K-A with the original finals.

I know of one case in Santa Monica, and one case in Huntington Beach,
where 3K-A amplifiers grid/fil.  shorted two pairs of new tubes in under
1 hour. [sic]  High anode potential with frisky new bottles delivers
maximal VHF gain.  Reducing VHF gain before installation of new tubes in
a 3K-A is probably not a bad idea.  / Other problems:    There is no
glitch resistor in the B+ circuitry.  /  There is a c. 95MHz resonance in
the HV-RFC.  A ferrite VHF-attn. bead is needed at the top of the choke.
/  The meters need glitch diodes.  /  There is an enclosure resonance
that is close to the oscillation frequency.

cheers, Hank

end