[AMPS] Big muthah soldering iron

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Big muthah soldering iron
From: rfamps@ic24.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:03:16 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Clements <philk5pc@tyler.net>
To: George K. Watson <watson@epiloglaser.com>; k7cw@qsl.net <k7cw@qsl.net>;
amps@contesting.com <amps@contesting.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: 06 September 2000 05:43
Subject: Re: [AMPS] Big muthah soldering iron

>Subject: RE: [AMPS] Big muthah soldering iron

>> I use a Weller SP-80 for these purposes. It is affectionately
>> known as "the monster of love". It would probably work for
>> cauterizing piles also.
>> I got it at a local hardware store. It was not all that expensive
>> and tips seem easy to get.
>>
>I have a Weller also; but don't you really miss those big old American
Beauties
>with the big wooden handles and cloth-covered cords?! I also miss the aroma
>of the old Kester solder.The ersin core stuff of today is just not as
sweet.

I bought a Metcal SP200 for a particularly difficult job, and the client
recommended it. It is amazing. It's smaller and lighter than a regular
Weller, but you can solder 1/16 sheet brass with it. The heat is generated
right in the tip by dissipating 470kHz rf. The only thing I have which
outperforms it is the old wooden handled 1" wide beast. 259 connectors would
be a steal. The first one went to a subcontractor for the intended job, but
I missed it so much I bought another one yesterday.

There is one snag - over here they are about $400 plus tax :-(

Steve