[AMPS] 8877 Rejuvination

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 8877 Rejuvination
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 05:52:32 -0700
What follows was initially a puzzlement.

(Mr. Rauch)
>If the grid is misaligned, areas of the grid will be struck by
>electrons and the kinetic energy will gradually cause the gold to
>migrate around inside the tube.

Hmm.  If an 8877 had a misaligned grid, it could never pass Eimac's final
inspection.   Such tubes are scrapped. //  Mr. Rauch knows that kaput
8877s from an AL-1500, that reportedly destroyed four tubes - are winging
their way here for testing and autopsies.     My guess is that Tom is
cooking up a pot of plausible denyability soup just in case the tubes
from the AL-1500 died from gold-sputtering.
note -- Gold does not simply "migrate around".  In power grid tubes,
gold-sputtering produces uniform-sized gold melt-balls which apparently
condense from a cloud of boiled-off gold atoms..

end

end