[AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?
From: jeff@wa1hco.mv.com (jeff millar)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 01:22:41 -0400
I'm sympathetic...but maybe you can just add a kill rule?

I'm actually getting interested in the psychological aspects of the
exchanges.  It reminds me of the debate over where to place the new high
school when I was a kid...It took 10 years to resolve and the school lost it
accreditation in the mean time.  First winning became more important than
the school, and then _arguing_ became more important.

The closest thing in recent times that match the pattern we see here is the
interviews with Serbs, Croatians and some Bosnians.  Key characteristics
seem to be

- focus on detail's
- zero give on any point
- lack of respect
- inability to admit any errors
- failure to return to the main point
- repetitive
- trying to stay "even"
- "preaching to the converted"
- word games
- focus on debating points
- getting personal
- lots of perceived slights

I think humans get stuck in these situations sometimes.  I think they tend
to occur in closed, inward looking communities...although this appears
individual.

Worst case, 500 years from now, we'll have the pro and anti nichrome sects
in low level warfare.

jeff