[AMPS] Re: Alpha

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Alpha
From: k7fm@teleport.com (Lamb)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 10:07:28 -0700
The question is what will happen to the numerous Alpha amplifiers with the
possible closing of Alpha Power.

Car buffs are still driving Packards, Studebakers and Edsels and are able to
maintain them.  Drake no longer give factory support for their classic ham
equipment, yet they are still in daily use and parts are still available.

It may be less of a problem that one large manufacturer of high end test
equipment manufacturer that gives a  3 or 5 year warranty then provides no
factory support or repair parts after the warranty period.

Every piece of equipment has a limited life.  The more complex it is, the
lesser the life - maybe.  The National SW-3 may still be going strong into
the next century.  Circuits with custom made chips may have a lesser life
than those using generic chips.  It does not seem too many years ago when
the 8873, 8874 and 8875 tubes were inexpensive.  Today a replacement set
costs more than some amplifiers are worth.

All we need is for the amplifier to be reliable as long as we are.  Our
widows can sell them at a garage sale and it may not matter whether they
have continued support (the amplifier - not the widow).

So, use and enjoy them.  I expect the value of the amps will be exactly the
same now as they were prior to the announcement.  The scarcity will balance
out the fear of non-support.

73,  Colin  K7FM