[AMPS] Alphas

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Alphas
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 11:41:04 -0700

>Hello,
>
>At this year's Dayton Convention one of the factor reps told me that
>there have been about 1,500 87a sold (since 1984?). If that is the case,
>two things are obvious: the market is small and the Alpha people have
>been running a charity and not managing an investment.

Amen to that.  It appeared that, like Collins Radio, the ham end of the
business was supported by other operations.  As I understand it,  Dick
supported Alpha with profits from his lucrative MRI contract with GE
Medical.  However, GE apparently investigated a high failure rate problem
with 8877s and concluded that there was a design error.  When GE told
Dick to fix the problem,  Dick told GE no, that the problem was with
Eimac.   GE cancelled Dick's contract. Dick should have known better than
to try to this with the company that G. W.  Fyler used to work for.
Also, GE makes gas turbine engines -- which have serious problems with
parasitic oscillations in turbine blades.
Denial of reality is a dangerous human malady.  It almost cost Bill the
Presidency.  It's likely to cost George W.  in November.
cheers,  Perry

end