[AMPS] QRO Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] QRO Amps
From: kl7ra@blizzard.gcgo.nasa.gov (kl7ra)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:00:08 -0800
Hi Jim

I have a multi-op contest station and use one for the twenty meter
position. It has cranked a lot of Q's with no failures.

Casual operating, I prefer it as it's quite and quick to tune by
the
numbers. I also like it for the muli op contests as it will shut
down
when someone switches the antenna when the voice keyer is
running.

It's not as fussy about swr or AC input power as my Alpha.

It's a pretty big box, over 100 lbs., seems well made, super band
switch. P-D transformers, ebs, vacuum relays, overcurrent, etc.

One feature I demonstrate, 1500 watts out CW you have no
indication
of power. No hum, vibration, or screen current. Nothing seems to
be
working hard except the Bird watt meter.

Fifty or so watts for 1500, and into a dummy load will pin a Bird
with a
2.5 kW slug. It has an extra (empty) socket beside the 4cx1600.
The fil
and plate xfmers and cooling have the head room, but I assume you
would need to change the output relay and maybe the Q a little.
That
would give you an amp that would last forever, but I doubt it
really
needs it.

73 Rich KL7RA