[AMPS] Q is meaningless

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Q is meaningless
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:39:19 -0400
From:                   "Steve Thompson" <rfamps@ic24.net>
To:                     <amps@contesting.com>
Subject:                Re: [AMPS] Logic v. Magic
Date sent:              Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:29:31 -0700

To: <amps@contesting.com>
> Date: 12 September 2000 07:17
> Subject: [AMPS] Logic v. Magic
> snip
> >Until I got down and crunched the numbers, I hadn't fully realised that
> >the value of the suppressor Q is literally *useless*.
>
> I came to that conclusion.
>
> Steve

That's true.

The Q of the suppressor is a meaningless number when trying to
decide if it is effective or not, or useful or not.

One thing is safe to say. Nichrome suppressor always have lower
low frequency Q than conventional suppressor. Technically they
should be called low-Q low-frequency (or HF) suppressors.

Not that it matters, since Q is unimportant, but that would be a
more accurate name.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com