[AMPS] 8877 test results.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 8877 test results.
From: dhb@mediaone.net (Dave, AA6YQ)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:07:09 -0400

> >>Loose gold meltballs are repelled from the anode insulator by negative
> >>potential.  Positive anode potential attracts gold to the insulator.

How does an insulator take on a negative potential?

> >I'm not arguing; but I need help understanding.  I can understand why a
> >field-emission rectifier works; it's because electrons come in just one
> >polarity.  (At least, in normal matter, not antimatter :-)  But I don't
> >understand why little gold balls would exhibit polarity.

> Gold atoms are surrounded by a swarm of negatively charged electrons.

In the Bohr model of an atom, a central nucleus containing neutrons and
postively-charged protons is surrounded by orbiting negatively-charged
electrons. In its normal state, the number of protons and electrons are
equal, so that atom's net charge is 0.

Under certain circumstances, electrons may be stolen or ripped away from an
atom, leaving it with a net positive charge. Under other circumstances, an
atom may steal electrons from some other atom and thereby gain a net
negative charge. Such charged atoms are referred to as ions.

> Like charges repel.  Unlike charges attract.

Thus, negatively ionized gold atoms would be attracted by a positive
potential.