[AMPS] Amp Pi Network Behavior

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp Pi Network Behavior
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:11:32 -0400
Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> wrote:
>When I operate my SB-220 into a dummy load on 40M, the loading capacitor is
>at approximately mid-scale.  The dummy, a cantenna, measures about 1.04 SWR
>on my VFD, so I assume it is ~50 ohms+/- j0.  When I attach my real yagi to
>it, at the same frequency, where its SWR is virtually the same, the loading
>cap wants to be full clockwise for maximum output.
>
>My question is, what is this telling me?  Does more capacitance in the
>output of the pi (than the dummy load value) indicate inductive reactance
>on the feedline?  Would a requirement for less capacitance indicate that
>the feedline was capacitative?
>
>Reason for asking is that I replaced my top guys with Phillystran yesterday
>and to my surprise, the tuning of my 40m yagi seems to have changed
>drastically.  Tune capacitor setting is somewhat different than before, as
>well.  Lowest-SWR frequency moved up about 50 kHz, but the SWR bandwidth
>and approximate values vs. frequency haven't changed.

It could be (as you suggest) inductive reactance seen looking into the
feedline, but (at least in principle) it could also be a smaller resistive
component of the impedance seen looking into the feedline.  To achieve the
same tube loading, you'd need a larger cap. at the output of the pi
network, and a smaller cap. at the input (to keep the resonant freq. the
same.)

Chances are that both the resistive and the reactive parts of your load
impedance changed.

-Chuck W1HIS