[AMPS] Amp using 833A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp using 833A
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:04:25 -0700

>Hi Jeff
>
>> This is a sad day in amateur radio.  Here we are in a mail list for the
>> high end of the amateur radio building community and we're reluctant to
>> use a tube that requires bias!?  4-1000's look ok when glowing orange but
>> an 833A is gorgeous with that bright red region in the center of the plate
>> (not anode, plate).
>>
>> jeff
>
>The problem is the tube will have low gain. That's because the gain
>of a grounded grid PA is related to the ratio of output impedance to
>input impedance of the tube.
>
>With it's low-mu construction, the 833 would take a heap of voltage
>swing on the input meaning driving impedance would be high and
>gain would be very low.
>
>It would be OK to grid drive the tube,

?  Not in linear service, Mr. Rauch.  Medium Mu triodes draw little anode
current unless the grid is driven way positive- and that means
distortion.   The only kind of triode that is suitable for grid driven
linear service is the low Mu variety.

> but then stability becomes an
>issue. The IMD also goes up because the heavy negative feedback
>inherent in cathode driven systems (the output is in series and out-
>of-phase with the input) would disappear.
>
>The tube could certainly be used,

Not for linear service.

>but it wouldn't be a good choice
>(especially since they have long leads and are prone to self-
>oscillation at upper HF).

smells a bit fishy

cheers, Tom

end