[AMPS] 833

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 833
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:22:42 -0600
The 833 triode has been and always will be a strong memory of what
got me into this biz in the first place. As a teenager I was next
door neighbor with the general manager of the local 500 watt daytimer
MW broadcast station. He gave me a part time job, following the chief
engineer around when he made his meter readings and adjustments. Come
to think of it, I probably considered it a job, but did it for
nothing, just for the experience and curiosity. This station WCKM
(now dark and boarded up) used a Gates BC500, with three 833's behind
windows. I learned how to set the bias to get the modulator currents
balanced and push pull. It wasn't always to get the same deep cherry
glow in the center of the anode, but close. When the CE retired, I
became the engineer, having my third class and second class
radiotelephone ticket by then, as well as my ham ticket from the same
exam session at the FCC office.

I have a few old 833 pulls. My dream is to build a tube-excited Tesla
coil on 300 Kilocycles or so. 833s should work well there, in class
C, as a power oscillator ...... sitting above a chassis with no
socket, using fuse clips for the connections.

73
K5PRO
John