[AMPS] L7 Amp Questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] L7 Amp Questions
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 14:36:55 -0700

>I recently got an L7 Amp with a bad 3-500Z. The tube plate had shifted and
>shorted to the grid. This caused the RF choke that Drake uses in the grid
>to ground circuit to go up in smoke.
>
>Does anyone know the value of the RF choke used and where they can be
>obtained?

As you know, the choke value is not shown on the diagram.  My guess is
roughly 1mH.  I would replace the chokes with fuses or fusing resistors.
Add about 1000pF of grid to ground bypass C to protect the fusing on 10m.

>I would also like to know where I might obtain a parts list for
>the amp since the manual that I got with the amp does not have one.
>
>Another question is on Drake's method of grounding the grids using RF
>chokes and shunt capacitors to ground. The ampss that I've seen in the
>Radio Handbook ground the grids directly. What's the
>advantages/disadvantages of doing it the Drake way? Any harm in just
>grounding them directly?

grounding the grids directly eliminates the possibility of grid fusing.

>And yet another question. I believe that one of the tubes is OK so I really
>only need one tube for the amp. The write ups I've seen on using two of
>these tubes says they must be matched.

The main thing is don't mix a Mu=200 tube with a Mu=130 tube.  RF Parts
sells the latter.

>How closely do they need to be
>matched?

>Does one just check for idling current and verifies that each tube
>draws the same current +/- some percentage, does the grid current have to
>match within some amount, or what?

If they show similar amounts of redness, they are matched close enough.

later, Harry

end