[AMPS] New member and Drake L7 questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] New member and Drake L7 questions
From: eb5agv@ctv.es (JOSE V. GAVILA (EB5AGV/EC5AAU))
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:40:49 +0200
Hello from Spain!

As title says, I am a new (subscribed for 10 minutes ;-) ) List member so I
think I should introduce myself. I am Jose Gavila, from Valencia (Spain). I
hold two callsigns, EB5AGV and EC5AAU. I am a 32 years old Telecomm
Engineer and enjoy working with radio gear, mostly tubed (look at my WEB
page for samples if you wish)

Well, just last week I had the chance to buy a nice Drake L7, along its
power supply (L7PS) and manual. As price was really low (around $425), I
could not check it before buying and it had sat for a long time unused, I
suspected of some trouble with it. And yes, I found a problem. Famous IRC
0.82 Ohm resistor was vaporized.

I have looked for old List messages about L7 and have found lots of info
about changing it to a 10 Ohm / 10W glass enameled resistor. In my resistor
junkbox I have only square 'sand' 5W resistors... Is there any trouble
using them?. I could put two in series, so have 20 Ohm / 10W... is this a
good arrangement?

As I have told, the amp has been resting unused for perhaps 10-15 years. I
have not powered it yet, due to the failure I found. But it seems tubes
should be 'cooked' for some time... could you suggest a practical procedure
with the L7?

Another thing I would like is to know which mods are 'standard' to protect
meters and so on.

Well, enough for first message :-)!

Thanks a lot for your help,

JOSE