[AMPS] Amp using 833A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp using 833A
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 07:59:36 -0700
>Rich says:
>
>>Broadcast quality amplifiers typically use negative feedback (NFB) to
>>reduce distortion.
>
>Your statements have always been that Class AB2 grounded cathode produced
>unacceptable distortion, with the implication that no circuit techniques
>exist to prevent it.

mixing (discussions about) push-pull audio amplifiers with single-ended
RF amplifiers is hardly cricket.

> Pappenfus et al describe where grid loading can improve IMD.

For the radio, grid-driven with grid current is an SWR shutdown
nightmare.

>> NFB is valuable in AB1,

It also tends to reduce screen/cathode potential during modulation peaks.

> let alone AB2 grounded cathode. Whether it could make
>a bad
>G2DAF (which is basically a AB2 amp) into a good one is another
>matter........generalisations are dangerous. So a grounded cathode AB2 is not
>necessarily bad on IMD as you suggest. I suspect that not all G2DAF circuits
>have to be bad, but it is possibly easier to get them that way than GG.

G2DAF is not bad per se.  It produces more distortion than the average
g-g amplifier.  This is perfectly legal as long as the splatter does not
go out of the ham band.

cheers, Peter

end