[AMPS] Fw: 4CX400 conversion/dentron MLA2500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Fw: 4CX400 conversion/dentron MLA2500
From: jholcomb@janics.com (Jerry Holcomb)
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 08:25:25 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0073_01C03038.245F48A0

i wanted to take the podium for a moment and give credit for excellent =
help that i received from bob alper in that i took on his 4CX400 =
conversion of an MLA2500 that i had purchased with sick tubes and some =
other faults. i came across bob's article on the RFparts website and =
decided it was the way i wanted to go rather than the 4CX800 conversion =
that was published in QST some years ago.  as i started to gather parts =
and do the necessary mods to the amp, i came across questions that i =
needed answers to and i called bob at home.  he and i visited for some =
time and he answered all my questions and more.  he was gracious enough =
to give me his number at work and it was then that he mentioned that he =
worked for Svetlana.  he and i talked by phone several times as i =
completed the conversion.

i had not yet bought the tubes until i had completed the mods. it was at =
that time that i learned of Tom's Tubes upon listening to a trader's =
net.  i called tom and he told me of his website and i did take the =
plunge and bought a pair of surplus tubes from tom.  they arrived in =
good shape and to my amazement, the amp worked quite fine.  i e-mailed =
tom and gave him permission to use my endorsement on his website.  i =
learned it showed up here later which is fine.

however, i did purchase a new set of Svetlana 4CX400s from RFparts.  i =
have tom's tubes as fine backups or as a set for another dentron if i =
want to do another conversion.  however, i do want to mention some =
things to the group about the differences in the tubes.  Of course there =
is a price difference of $40 per tube.  New Svetlana's from RFparts are =
$130 versus $90 for the surplus tubes from tom.  The other differences =
are cosmetic and in the warranty.  The surplus tubes have very minor =
cosmetic differences between the two tubes and if the numbers on the =
tubes are date codes, then they may be as old as 10 or 12 years old.  =
The new Svetlana's appear to have date codes that would place them being =
made in 1999.  They are also cosmetically perfect and identical in =
appearance if that makes any difference to anyone.  The other difference =
is in warranty.  Tom's are warranted for 90 days and he requires a $25 =
payment when a bad tube is returned.  I believe Svetlana's warranty is 2 =
years pretty much with no questions asked.  At least RFparts promotes =
them as having the best warranty in the industry.

in any event, i did want to mention the differences and my experience in =
the conversion.  bob alper has been a real gentlemen and never outwardly =
promoted Svetlana in my conversations with him about the conversion.  it =
was simply one ham helping another for which i am grateful whose help =
has given me a nice amplifier performing as was published and whose help =
has given me a better understanding of tetrodes. =20

incidentally, this is my second converversion of an amp.  my first was a =
heath SB-220 which has all of rich's mods including the 160 conversion =
and it has worked flawlessly for over 6 years now and i use it on 160 =
almost every nite.  i have talked to rich at home several years ago and =
he was and has been most helpful to me.  both bob and rich were very =
patient with me although i don't have the technical background that many =
of this group have. =20

anyway, this is my contribution to the group and i enjoy the many fine =
contributions that are posted here.

-73s   Jerry Holcomb, N0XWR, Joplin, Missouri-

------=_NextPart_000_0073_01C03038.245F48A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>i wanted to take the podium for a =
moment and=20
give&nbsp;credit for excellent help that i received from bob alper in =
that i=20
took on his 4CX400 conversion of an MLA2500 that i had purchased with =
sick tubes=20
and some other faults. i came across bob's article on the RFparts =
website and=20
decided it was the way i wanted to go rather than the 4CX800 conversion =
that was=20
published in QST some years ago.&nbsp; as i started to gather parts and =
do the=20
necessary mods to the amp, i came across questions that i needed answers =
to and=20
i called bob at home. &nbsp;he and i visited for some time and he =
answered all=20
my questions and more.&nbsp; he was gracious enough to give me his =
number at=20
work and it was then that he mentioned that he worked for =
Svetlana.&nbsp; he and=20
i talked by phone several times as i completed the =
conversion.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>i had not yet bought the tubes until i =
had=20
completed the mods. it was at that time that i learned of Tom's Tubes =
upon=20
listening to a trader's net.&nbsp; i called tom and he told me of his =
website=20
and i did take the plunge and bought a pair of surplus tubes from =
tom.&nbsp;=20
they arrived in good shape and to my amazement, the amp worked quite =
fine.&nbsp;=20
i e-mailed tom and gave him permission to use my endorsement on his=20
website.&nbsp; i learned it showed up here later which is =
fine.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>however, i did purchase a new set of =
Svetlana=20
4CX400s from RFparts.&nbsp; i have tom's tubes as fine backups or as a =
set for=20
another dentron if i want to do another conversion.&nbsp; however, i do =
want to=20
mention some things to the group about the differences in the =
tubes.&nbsp; Of=20
course there is a price difference of $40 per tube.&nbsp; New Svetlana's =
from=20
RFparts are $130 versus $90 for the surplus tubes from =
tom.&nbsp;&nbsp;The other=20
differences are cosmetic and in the warranty.&nbsp; The surplus tubes =
have very=20
minor cosmetic differences between the two tubes and if the numbers on =
the tubes=20
are date codes, then they may be as old as 10 or 12 years old.&nbsp; The =
new=20
Svetlana's appear to have date codes that would place them being made in =

1999.&nbsp; They are also cosmetically perfect and identical in =
appearance if=20
that makes any difference to anyone.&nbsp; The other difference is in=20
warranty.&nbsp; Tom's are warranted for 90 days and he requires a $25 =
payment=20
when a bad tube is returned.&nbsp; I believe Svetlana's warranty is 2 =
years=20
pretty much with no questions asked.&nbsp; At least RFparts promotes =
them as=20
having the best warranty in the industry.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>in any event, i did want to mention the =
differences=20
and my experience in the conversion.&nbsp; bob alper has been a real =
gentlemen=20
and never outwardly promoted Svetlana in my conversations with him about =
the=20
conversion.&nbsp; it was simply one ham helping another for which i am =
grateful=20
whose help has given me a nice amplifier performing as was published and =
whose=20
help has given me a better understanding of tetrodes.&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>incidentally, this is my second =
converversion of an=20
amp.&nbsp; my first was a heath SB-220 which has all of rich's mods =
including=20
the 160 conversion and it has worked flawlessly for over 6 years now and =
i use=20
it on 160 almost every nite.&nbsp; i have talked to rich at home several =
years=20
ago and he was and has&nbsp;been most helpful to me.&nbsp; both bob and =
rich=20
were very patient with me although i don't have the technical background =
that=20
many of this group have.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>anyway, this is my contribution to the =
group and i=20
enjoy the many fine contributions that are posted here.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-73s&nbsp;&nbsp; Jerry Holcomb, N0XWR, =
Joplin,=20
Missouri-</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0073_01C03038.245F48A0--