[AMPS] measuring under power

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] measuring under power
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:22:23 -0600
The OIB series is made to work around broadcast arrays, up to about
+/- 400j reactance and I forget the real range. I used to work for
Delta Electronics Inc, and we hand calibrated every one of them. The
advantage of the OIB was to work under power;  Delta made the CPB-1
for common point installation into a directional array at 50 kW, and
the OIB for portable under 10 kW sort of power. This allowed
measurments in the presence of adjacent channel RF power coming in
while the TX was running.

They also made the RG-1 through 4, synchronously modulated (chopped)
receiver/generators to use with the Delta bridges as well as the
General Radio systems. It gave one more degree of isolation to the
measurment, but only detecting the null in the bridge from the
chopped 3 Watt signal, not the incoming CW rf from another carrier.

The OIB-2 bridge is the HF only version of the Delta equipment. It
was made mostly for SW broadcasters and gov't systems, and allowed 1
kW max thru power. In the 1970's there was a QST article on building
your own.

With the advent of the MFJ/Bird/Autek/etc and microprocessors, these
inexpensive jobbies seem to fill the bill for most ham antenna uses.

Hp did have a great article on the accuracy of couplers and uses for
impedance measurement. They used a direct sampling V/I system in some
of the impedance meters that go up to 100 MHz or so, to get around
this limitation and allow measurment up to 100K and down to a few
Ohms.

73
John
K5PRO