[AMPS] a sticky issue.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] a sticky issue.
From: Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:24:14 -0700
Does anyone know what the |Z| of a typical electrolytic string
looks like at 1.8 MHz. Ignoring the electrolytic's impedance, I get
about 0.4% attenuation for a 180uH plate choke and a single .01uF
bypass capacitor to ground at 1.8 MHz. This would amount to an RF
voltage on the order of a few tens of volts across the bypass C in a
typical amateur amplifier. Whether or not this impressed voltage is
capable of generating any significant heating in the electrolytics
would depend on their shunt impedance at 1.8 MHz.

Someone mentioned using a 1000pf cap for the anode bypass. This
seems like it might be a little on the low side (4% attenuation could
imply a hundred volts of RF across the power supply on 160 meters).