[AMPS] Nichrome wire resistance?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Nichrome wire resistance?
From: jeff@wa1hco.mv.com (jeff millar)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 03:47:16 -0400
I think the ribbon corresponds to a 21 gauge wire because
.126 x .005 yeilds .00063 sq in, corresponding to 28.3 mils
diameter...same as 21 gauge.  So, according to the table at

http://www.wiretron.com/nicrdat.html

it ought to have .80 to .83 Ohms per ft., depending on
composition.  So, 3.5 inches should do it.  However,
you plan to put about 40 Amps through it and the other
chart on the page say that 14.8 Amps will cause the wire
to operate at 2000 deg F.  It will make a nice flash at
40 Amps.

As an aside, the whole 29 inches operating at 14.8 Amps
will dissapate about 400 W and run at 2000F.

jeff