[AMPS] GU84b Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] GU84b Question
From: philhss@breathemail.net (Phil)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:57:07 +0100
Ladies / Gentlemen,

I'm thinking of putting a single GU84b into SSB service on HF.

The datasheet for this tube states that a maximum voltage for the anode
should be 2.2Kv, but then goes on to say that the anode can withstand 4.25Kv
during Pulsed service.

My question is;
Has anyone on this reflector operated this tube at a higher voltage than
2.2Kv but not during pulse operation? I'm thinking that I could run the tube
with, say, 3Kv or 3.5KV without problems (unless the tube might exceed
dissipation limits for the anode?) - unless somebody knows otherwise!

The reason for wanting to run the tube at this higher anode voltage, is that
my anode supply can happily supply up to 4.5Kv at 1A, possibly up to 1.2A
(although I've not tried it at this level of current), but to get the
required power input level the supply cannot (I suspect) provide adequate
current (around the 1.5A level) at 2.2Kv.

Of course, the simplest answer may be to build another anode supply - but
I'm trying to avoid having to do so......

Thanks for any help offered,

Regards,

Phil Smeaton
G0HSS