[AMPS] Portable linear using a DAF?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Portable linear using a DAF?
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (sm5ki)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 10:53:08 +0100
 Hej all:

I want to collect together a light weight and compact ( low profile to get
into a normal suit case) shortwave station for portable use including a
light weight linear that I have to build myself. Here my thoughts and your
comments are most welcome:

1. Where do I find a light weight HV power supply and why are there no
switched power supplies for 2 -3 kV?

2. As alternative use a number of paralellt cheap russian TV sweep tubes
with filaments in series to get rid of the filament transformer weight. Use
voltage qudrupling straight from 230 VAC mains with a well isolated chassie
to avoid electrical chocks. At the expected 500 W level use an outdoor  500W
SMART TUNER and a long wire.

3. Alternative would be a number paralellt 8072 tubes cooled with flat
volume blowers. Then I get the additional weight of the filament
transformer, of course.

3. Use a DAF that dissipates less heat and requires less cooling and weight.
Which may mean a number of flat light weight computer type blowers.

4. I know there have been similar linears on the market but they are too
heavy.

5. Transistorised linears are out as the cooler adds weight although a
switched power supply is OK.

6. A heavier alternative would be a heavier GU 74 DAF with my QRO HV toroid
transformer. The tubes are very cheap in Europe and reliable.

73s de Hans SM5KI