[AMPS] Trouble With an AL-80A... Cause?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Trouble With an AL-80A... Cause?
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 22:18:12 -0800

>Hey All,
>
>       Wondering if i could get some help with a problem my club had
>with our Al-80A about a week ago. Went to turn the amp on (Had
>been working great the day before), And immediatly dident hear the
>normal (Whoosh-Ping) Sound the amp makes when its energizeing.
>Thoguht i dident hit the On switch right, and when i went to hit it
>again, black tinned smoke started to come out of the left vent holes
>by the Caps.  Immediatly turned it off and unplugged it. After
>opening the case, We could notice no obvious damaged parts; Not
>even smoke residue on anything. Only tipoff was the case had a
>slight sweet smell to it, not the acid smell you would expect of that
>black smoke.

Unplug the tube and see if you have normal HV.  The AL-80 has no
stepstart to limit inrush current to a safe value, so the problem could
be with the on/off switch.  This is also common problem in TL-922s  and
SB-220s.  An easy to build stepstart circuit may be found on my Web site.

cheers, Ulysses

end