[AMPS] grounds

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] grounds
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:48:24 -0000
In the US power distribution system, I understand that the neutral is connected
to ground at the point of entry to the property's distribution board. Do the
electricity company provide a ground wire in parallel with the neutral, or is
the ground purely a local ground from a ground rod or similar?

Is their any fault detection on that ground connection so that a ruptured
neutral won't lead to the return current being through that ground connection?

Are cables witha metallic sheath used in the US, with the sheath being the
neutral? Here we have cables with 3 phase conductors and a metal sheath for
neutral - and ruptured neutrals aren't unknown.

73

Peter G3RZP