SV: [AMPS] SB-220 Glitch Resistor ???

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] SB-220 Glitch Resistor ???
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:05:13 -0800

>Wilbert Knol wrote:
>>

>>> With the glitch R in the negative return, the cathode circuitry may be
>>> driven to several kV by a B+ to chassis arc.
>>
>>Good point.
>>
>>I don't like the idea of most of the HT appearing across the filament
>>transformer secondary...
>>
>Does it?

With filament-type cathodes, without glitch (meter protection) diodes, it
does.

>The current around the loop is the same, regardless of whether
>the glitch resistor is connected to the top of the capacitor stack (B+)
>or the bottom (B-minus). If we keep chassis potential as the voltage
>reference, the only difference in the second case is only that the B-
>minus end of the resistor spikes to a high *negative* voltage. The other
>end of the resistor should be held close to chassis potential by the
>usual meter protection diodes.

When the glitch R is connected to the neg. return, the meter protection
diodes limit the voltage drop across the glitch R.  This prevents the
glitch R from doing its job of limiting current.

Thus, when the hot end of a B- glitch resistor is held close to chassis
potential, the meter protection diodes limit the voltage across the
resistor to a couple of volts.  Thus,  virtually no current limiting is
provided.

>The practical problem about having the glitch resistor in the B-minus
>return is therefore the need for high-grade insulation at *both* ends of
>the capacitor stack.

The negative end of the capacitor stack is limited to a couple of volts
above gnd potential due to use of glitch diodes in the metering
circuitry.  The logical place for a glitch resistor is in the positive HV
lead.

end

end