[AMPS] SB-230 8877 Tube availability

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-230 8877 Tube availability
From: Hans_Brakob@adc.com (Brakob, Hans)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 13:01:50 -0600
Unless it's free, the SB230 would be real low on my list
of amplifiers.  It's a very wimpy amp, maybe 500W CW, 900W
SSB PEP.  I melted one down in a single weekend of SS CW
contesting back in the late 70's.

It runs a single 8873 (not 8877) conduction-cooled tube, and uses
a dangerous (poisonous) beryllium-oxide block to thermally couple
the tube to the heatsink. I think Eimac still makes the 8873, but
it is spendy.  There might also be a Svetlana version.

Changing out to a different tube like a 3CX400A is probably not
a viable option, due to need to add a blower and air-plenum, plus
modify filament voltages, etc.

Save your money.

73, Hans, K0HB